Hi Doctor, My wife got a boil on her eyelid.

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist

Posted on Fri, 9 Feb 2018 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hi Doctor,
My wife got a boil on her eyelid. Please find the image attached. It was there since her delivery 7months back but now it is growing and caused pain for couple of days and now it’s not paining. Please suggest what could it be and what needs to be done.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Infected sebaceous cyst

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you for asking.
I am Dr. Kakkar (Dermatologist and Venereologist). I have noted your concern.

It's a sebaceous cyst. The central black dot or punctum is typical of sebaceous cyst.

A Sebaceous cyst may grow slowly over months or years.

Perhaps it got infected and therefore it pained.

I suggest a course of oral antibiotic for a week e.g either Cap. Amoxicillin or Cap. Cephalexin 500mg, thrice daily for a week.

Topically she may use either Neosporin ointment or Mupirocin 2 %ointment, twice daily. That would take care of the infection.

Once the infection resolves the cyst needs to be taken out in toto along with its lining wall. This would require a minor surgery.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee