Hi Doctor, I am male aged 35 years. I have

Dr. Bhanu Partap

Cardiologist

Posted on Sun, 6 Jan 2019 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Hi Doctor, I am male aged 35 years. I have a family history of high blood pressure, mother's side and I have been on medication since the last 20 years ( Losar 50 mg - twice a day to regulate my blood pressure). I've not had any problems with high BP such as nausea, giddiness etc. in the past. I am healthy with a BMI of 22 and work out 4-5 days a week. I want to know if there is a way I can stop or taper down the medication? look forward to your response.
Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please refer to the detailed answer below

Detailed Answer:
Hello

After going through the medical details provided by you I can understand your concern for your health and I would like to tell you that as it’s been a long time that you are taking anti hypertensives so there are chances that your blood pressure can go up if you stop them.

However I would like to know how was your blood pressure levels when you started with the medicine. Was it high or was it started just because of family history?

Kind Regards
Dr Bhanu Partap
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. Bhanu Partap 1 hour later
it was started because it was high.. my pressure levels and doctor advised to start it when I was 15. since then I've not actively consulted any doctor.
Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hello again

Detailed Answer:
Yes you can give it a trial by slowly tapering you bp medicine dose over a period of few months under the supervision of your doctor. Along with that you have to maintain strict healthy lifestyle routine.

Kind Regards
Dr Bhanu Partap
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj