question-icon

Hi Doctor, I am being diagnosed with Fistula. Could you

Posted on Sat, 16 Mar 2019
Question: Hi Doctor,

I am being diagnosed with Fistula.

Could you please suggest the treatment.

Thanks!
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela (55 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Surgery is the only option

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
As per your description,it looks like Anal fistula.
It is communication from the Skin exteriorly to the Anal canal inside.It is like a Tract.
There is no Medical treatment for Anal fistula.
Whole fistulous tract has to be removed surgically under Anaesthesia.
If the external opening is near the Anal opening, surgery will be simple.If it is far away,the tract will be passing through Anal sphincter muscles making the surgery complex.It can be managed too.
I prefer a Fistulogram first where a XXXXXXX is injected through External opening to visualize the Tract.
Please consult your Surgeon and proceed further.
Nothing to worry.
Hope I answered your query.If you have any questions,I will clarify further.
Wish you good health
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Hari Charan Perigela

General Surgeon