Hi Doc, I have a concerning issue happening. when I

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Mon, 28 Jan 2019 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Hi Doc, I have a concerning issue happening. when I fall a sleep sitting up or with my head tilted, I notice my heart beating hard or my neck really tight. I notice if I lay flat with only one pillow I dont get the symptoms. I had my EKG's an holter monitor and echo and nothing shows up. Could I have some blockage in my neck or something that affects me positioning? Thanks Davkd
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I woul explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome to Ask a Doctor service!

I passed carefully through your question an would explain that your symptoms do not seem to be related to a blockage on the neck, but just to a wrong position during sleeping.

Do you smoke? I would like to know more about your past medical history (do you suffer from dyslipidemia, diabetes or hypertension?).

If you have no such cardio-vascular risk factors, there is no reason to panic about carotid artery blockage or narrowing, especially considering your age.

Anyway, a Doppler ultrasound of the carotid arteries, would help to examine the blood flow in your carotid arteries and totally exclude any possible narrowing in them.

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

I remain at your disposal for any further questions whenever you need!

Kind regards,

Dr. Ilir Sharka, Cardiologist
Follow up: Dr. Ilir Sharka 3 hours later
Hey Doc, I have hypertension but it's well under control! I'm at the point I can be taken of hydronchlorithizide and alodapine. Do what could affect me positioning waking up in certain positions?
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
My opinion as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello again!

In my opinion it could be the anatomical characteristics of your arteries (their position and their relation to the other anatomical structures in this region) that could lead to such clinical situation.

But, this does not mean that something serious is going on.

Anyway, I would recommend performing a Doppler ultrasound of the carotid arteries in order to be sure that the blood flow in normal in them and definitely put your mind to peace.

Hope you will find this information helpful!

If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask me again!

Wishing all the best,

Dr. Iliri