Hello..My mother aged 50 years is suffering from osteoarthritis ..She

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
Hello..My mother aged 50 years is suffering from osteoarthritis..She was on medication s for 5 years..Now pain increased our doctor is suggesting surgery joint replacement..I will upload her x-ray.please suggest minimally invasive procedures as she has weak immune system.thankyou sir
Thu, 8 Feb 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Intra articular injections can help.

Detailed Answer:
I have seen the attached X-ray report. Your mother has advanced osteoarthritis with very small joint space left between the bones.
These are basically age related degenerative changes in the weight bearing joints like knee and is characterized by joint pain and stiffness. Upon movement the stiffness gradually relives.
The treatment options include pain killers, hot fomentation, lubricating agents like glucosamine sulfate, chondroitin , dycerin, etc and some life style modifications and physiotherapy.
In severe cases intra articular injections of steroids and hyaluronic acid may be needed after consultation with your orthopaedician. Surgery is recommended only when all the other treatment options fail to provide relief.
I also encourage you to consult an orthopedician for physical examination. A few blood tests, CT / MRI scans of the knee will help us diagnose the condition and help us in choosing the best approach of treatment.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Follow-up: Hello..My mother aged 50 years is suffering from osteoarthritis ..She 38 minutes later
Thank you sir..We consulted orthopaedician and on treatment for past 5 years and he told replacement is the only option and he told 1.5 lakh for each knee and total 3 lakh.we are okay with cost.what is the life of artificial joint?? does she undergo partial knee replacement or total knee replacement? Which is the best option with less complications for her knee??

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Total knee replacement is better.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
Total knee replacement is a better option in her case as she has advanced osteoarthritis. Usually the life of artificial joint varies between 12-18 years. It depends on the body weight and stress on the implanted joint.
Do get the knees replaced one by one.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.

Follow-up: Hello..My mother aged 50 years is suffering from osteoarthritis ..She 8 hours later
Sir, if we go for joint replacement now after 15 years joint life will be over what to do after that?At that time she will get 65 years and REDOING of surgery is possible at that age??? She can walk and able to do her activities now. we are in dilemma to go for surgery now or to wait for 2-3 years and go for surgery so that the joint will work till she gets 70 years. if we delay will there be any complications?? Is it possible so that the joint will work for lifetime I.e at least 20-25 years??
Follow-up: Hello..My mother aged 50 years is suffering from osteoarthritis ..She 4 minutes later
Also her weight is 71.height 165 cm. After 15 years of replacement she will get 65 years and joint life will be over and REDOING of surgery is possible at that age??

Brief Answer:
Delay the surgery if you can.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
After the life of the replaced joint is over revision surgery is needed and the knee is replaced again with a new implant.
The status of second surgery will depend on her condition of health at that time. Her cardiac status and general health will need a detailed evaluation at that time. If she can walk normally now with the help of medicines and physiotherapy then it is best to delay the surgery for a few years and continue with the present treatment. Delaying the surgery can cause her discomfort in bending legs but there is no long term harm in delaying the surgery.
Usually the joint does not last for more than 15-17 years if used carefully.
Regards.