Hello, possible carcinoid syndrome - fast heartbeat, chills , warm/

Dr. Monish De

Oncologist

Posted on Tue, 22 Jan 2019 in Cancer
Question: Hello, possible carcinoid syndrome - fast heartbeat, chills, warm/flushing cheeks-light pink. ER visits - CT abdomen to pelvis - normal, CT chest - mediastinum: 2.7x1 non specific prevascular Lymph node.

Chromogranin A and 5 hiaa test within range.

symptons still persist. If the bloodwork is fine, can it still be carcinoid? Visiting doctors to no avail. Went to a pulmonologist and he doesn’t seem concerned about the lymph node.

Healthy 37yr old female, never smoked, no allergies, no history of anything
Answered by Dr. Monish De 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
I do not think you are having carcinoid syndrome

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking...

Since CT scan of abdomen and blood work are normal I do not think you are having carcinoid syndrome.

I would advise you to take a beta blocker group of the drug with your doctor's advice for a faster heartbeat and a blood culture sensitivity test for chills before coming to a final diagnosis.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Monish De 1 hour later
Thank you for your reply. What about the Chest CT that shows mediastinum non specific lymph node of 2.7x1cm? Could this be carcinoid, even though rest of blood work is normal...I read that it may not even produce serotonin, so may not be correct.
Answered by Dr. Monish De 1 minute later
Brief Answer:
Biopsy test will be able to specify it's cause

Detailed Answer:
Hi

I would advise you to do a biopsy test from the lymph node in mediastinum since it is around 2.7 cm

If it comes out as negative then nothing to worry