question-icon

Hello, I am taking 60 mg of Latuda twice a

Posted on Tue, 2 Apr 2019
Question: Hello, I am taking 60 mg of Latuda twice a day for schizoaffective disorder, 100 mg Luvox once a day for OCD and anxiety, and 5 mg of propranolol twice a day for tachycardia. For the past two nights, I have been feeling shaky like there is electricity going through my body and this is one of the warning signs of seizures. Luvox and propranolol increase the level of Latuda in the blood which can lead to more side effects such as seizures and I'm taking 120 mg of Latuda which is a high dose. Do you think I'm at risk of getting a seizure? I do not have a seizure disorder and I've never had a seizure before.
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
Consultation

Detailed Answer:
Dear Soniya,
Thanks for using healthcaremagic.

I read your query and understand your concerns about risk of seizures.

First of all I like to inform you that Latuda is known to lower seizure threshold and risk of seizure is well placed. I mean to say that you have valid concern.

However 160 mg of latuda is moderate dose and not a high dose. There is sufficient data to show that upto 300 mg of latuda per day does not cause seizure on it own among non epileptic individuals like you. I understand that there is interaction with other medications in your prescription but both of the medications does not inhibit metabolism of Latuda to a great extent. In other words the interaction between latuda and propranolol and Luvox is very low.

To conclude it can be stated that you have the valid concern but practically there is very very low risk of seizure for you as you are non epileptic.

I hope this answers you.
Feel free to write back to me if you have more questions.
Thanks and regards.

Dr. Ashok Kumar

Psychiatrist