Hello, I am taking 40 mg of Geodon twice a

Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi

Psychiatrist

Posted on Sat, 12 Jan 2019 in Mental Health
Question: Hello, I am taking 40 mg of Geodon twice a day for schizoaffective disorder and anxiety and 100 mg of Luvox once a day for OCD and anxiety. I wanted to switch from Geodon to Latuda and wanted instructions on how to do so. Can I take 40 mg of Geodon in the morning and then 40 mg of Latuda at night? And how long should I continue like this before I just take Latuda? And luvox increases the levels of Latuda so will the level of Latuda in my body become too high? And I had taken 40 mg of Latuda with 100 mg of Luvox before but I had a lot of chest pain and went to the ER and they said it wasn't anything serious. I had broken Latuda in half so do you think that's why I may have had chest pain because it didn't disperse evenly?
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You can take Latuda without worries.

Detailed Answer:
Hello thanks for using ask a doctor service

Though there is no specific guidelines but Geodon and Latuda are not so different drugs. You can switch from one to another drug without tapering the doses. Yes you can take 40 mg in morning and 40 mg Latuda in night and then can continue to take Latuda in same doses. In dose equivalence 40 mg of Geodon is 40 mg Latuda.

I don't think Fluvoxamine is causing much change in levels of Latuda that can cause clinically significant side effects.

Breaking the tablet is not the cause of chest pain you developed. This could be due to some another causes.

You can take Latuda without worries.

Thanks.

Please don't hesitate to ask if you have more doubts.