Hello, I am taking 40 mg of Geodon twice a

Dr. Ashok Kumar

Psychiatrist

Posted on Mon, 7 Jan 2019 in Mental Health
Question: Hello, I am taking 40 mg of Geodon twice a day for schizoaffective disorder, 100 mg of Luvox once a day for OCD and anxiety, and 50 mg of atarax twice a day for anxiety. Both luvox and geodon can cause qt interval prolongation and luvox increases the levels of Geodon. Atarax also increases toxicity of Geodon by qt interval prolongation. So do you think taking these three medications together will cause qt interval prolongation?
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
unlikely while using current dosage

Detailed Answer:
Dear Soniya,
Thanks for using Healthcaremagic.

I read your query and understand your concerns about prolongation of QT interval.

First of all I like to acknowledge that your fear is based on the facts and it is always wise to follow recommendations of your doctor. When you are on these medications it is advisable to obtain baseline ECG and repeat the same every three to six months. Any form of sudden changes in heart beat, palpitations, fainting should be reported to your doctor.

Now regarding your question I must assure you that there are multiple causes among the persons who experience QT prolongation such as male gender, use of drugs affecting cardiac conduction, existing QT, elderly, recent history of myocardial infarction among others.

In addition the QT interval prolongation is dose dependent side effect and none of your current medications fall in abnormal range of dosing. There is good possibility that even with prolonged use of these medications prolongation of QT interval is unlikely.

However I will request you to attach your latest ECG along with previous ECG so I can state clearly whether there is any effect on cardiac conduction.

I hope this helps you.
Feel free to write back to me if you have more questions.
Thanks and regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D