Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
169 Doctors are Online

Having visible veins in shoulders, chest and arm area. Taking proper diet. Which specialist should I consult?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1981
Answered : 922 Questions
I have very visible, unsightly blue veins in my shoulders, chest and arm area. I was told at different times to go to a thoracic surgeon if they bothered me then told to go to a vein specialist. All I know is that I've dealt with this issue for too long now, it may seem small, but never wearing a tank top or short sleeves is a nuisance. I eat as healthy as i can and drink plenty of water. I also exercise daily. Please tell me what type of doctor I would have to go to to treat these veins. Also, these veins never seem to be used when I am getting blood taken, for they can never get blood from them.
Posted Tue, 28 Aug 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 1 hour later
Thanks for writing in.
I am a medical specialist with an additional degree in the subspecialty of Cardiology.
I read your question with diligence.
If there is no blood in those veins then those are XXXXXXX seated and natural characterstics of your subcutaneous tissue and skin make them look prominent. That is not a sign of disease. I can understand your problem however it is cosmetic rather than disease related. Please go to a cardiologist because they are the ones who are trained in vascular system (arteries and veins in their job). Without seeing I can suggest is you are underweight correct that, if there is some hidden disease your doctor will find it. If there is none you will have to live with it.

Please do write any supplementary query if you might have or if my answer is incomplete or unclear. I will be too happy to make amend in replying as soon as I get the mail. Regards.

With Best Wishes
Dr Anil Grover,
Medical Specialist & Cardiologist
M.B.;B.S, M.D. (Internal Medicine) D.M.(Cardiology)
http://www/ WWW.WWWW.WW
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Having visible veins in shoulders, chest and arm area. Taking proper diet. Which specialist should I consult? 41 hours later
Actually I'm a bit overweight and have started exercising regularly and eating right to loose it. I have about 40 more pounds to loose. I have lost the weight before yet the veins were still very visible. I'm wondering why I was told to go to a thoracic surgeon? There isn't a cosmetic procedure that can be done to help this? I hate tanning all the time to cover them tanning isn't good for you. I've had them my whole life well since I was 12 years old and my boyfriend always asks me why I don't wear tank tops and such. It's just embarrassing not being comfortable in your own skin. Especially since I plan on getting married someday soon and there aren't any wedding dresses that would cover them. I also have some spider veins in my legs which I know is a genetic problem and I plan on getting treated this year hopefully. Please respond. Thanks
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 1 hour later
Well you did not reveal those facts before. My understanding is if you loose weight the right way the stretched skin over the vein shall loosen and cover the veins. But if veins are structure that way then perhaps cosmetic surgeons would have answer for it for prominent veins are problem with lots of overweight persons. Therefore, you discuss your problem with plastic surgeon (or they call them only cosmetic surgeon in the US). After examining you only it will be possible to pass the judgement on both the counts I said yes to that is if you loose the weight right way and plastic surgeon can tackle the problem. Good Luck.

Dr Anil Grover
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor