Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

Having reddish small pimples in pubic region. Feeling itchy. Noticed dark blood. Remedy?

User rating for this question
Answered by

Practicing since : 2006
Answered : 2015 Questions
hi doc, a small, reddish pimple like bump I noticed today in the shower in my public region. not close to the genitals really... I finally decided to scratch it and a fairly (for such a small bump) large amount of very dark blood emerged...

bit of info. the "head" came off rather easily, it appeared to be thin. I would say a hair follicle? there was no hair in that one particular spot however.
Posted Thu, 11 Jul 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 39 minutes later
Thanks for writing to us.
From the description it seems you could be having infection of hair follicles and surrounding area known as furuncle or boil in simpler terms. It is an infection of a bacteria- staphylococcus aureus. Such lesions should not be manipulated as can lead to further infection or inflammation due to inoculation of more bacteria. Such lesions are common in pubic area due to constant friction from clothing, hair growth, sweat and trapped moisture etc.

To treat the same
Do warm water compresses over affected area
Apply fusidic acid or mupirocin cream twice in a day
Change your underclothes twice in a day
Wear loose cotton clothes
Use a sharp and clean razor blade to shave the area and direction of shaving should be according to direction of hair growth
If there is pain in the affected area, take analgesic like ibuprofen
If the lesion does nt heal in two to three days, take oral antibiotic.

Hope that answered your query.
Take care
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor