Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
171 Doctors are Online

Having panic attack and claustrophobia. Is this weight related problem?

Jun 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 2219 Questions
Hi I am 41 yrs old, 172cm tall and weigh 80kg. Lately i have been having panic attacks (which i havent had for 15 yrs now) and claustrophobia. Could this be weight related? My cholesterol also was quite high but havent tested recently..thanks for your thoughts.
Posted Sat, 11 May 2013 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Sushil Kumar Sompur 41 minutes later
Hi there ~

Thank you for your question. I understand that you have a prior history of hypercholesterolemia. I do not think that this has anything to do with your panic attacks or claustrophobia. You can rest assured regarding this. However I hope that you have been adequately treated for the conditions. I also hope that your cholesterol is under control.

The anxiety can be treated with the exposure and response prevention (ERP) which is a technique used by psychologists. I also think that you should consult with your psychiatrist for medications. The first line for such conditions is SSRIs or selective serotonin re-uptake inhibitors and there are a lot of sedative hypnotic medications that can helps with your anxiety attacks as well. I hope you get an appointment with a psychiatrist as soon as you can.

I hope this helps. Take care and have a lovely day!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Having panic attack and claustrophobia. Is this weight related problem? 1 hour later
Thanks Doctor, how about the weight factor? Questions are for a friend of mine who is very concerned...thanks
Answered by Dr. Sushil Kumar Sompur 5 hours later
Hi there ~

Anxiety and claustrophobia are important and they may cause these side effects and so can the medications used to treat them. However this might not be a case and you might need a psychological assessment to see if you need counseling and medications from a psychiatrist for depression and anxiety. Depression can make you gain or lose weight depending on the situation. There are two ways to lose weight:

1. Eat right - and healthy. Which might mean that you need to consult a nutritionist.
2. Exercise regularly - 4 times a week for 30-40 min per session and it should include both cardio and weights.

I hope you get yourself on the track to recovery and a healthy weight as soon as you can. I hope this helped.

Take care and have a lovely day!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Psychiatrist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor