Having pain in chest and collarbone. Should I be worried?

Dr. Timothy Raichle

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 4 Feb 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I have been having chest pain since last night and for the last few hours I feel pain by my collarbone. Should I be worried?
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 42 minutes later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

What is the location of the chest pain - right or left?
What makes it worse?
What makes it better?
What were you doing when it started?

Let me know and I will try to help.
Follow up: Dr. Timothy Raichle 19 hours later
Chest pain is on the right center of my chest & last night also had pain in my left shoulder.

Nothing makes it worse it just gets more intense sometimes. If I hold my chest it relieves some of the pain.

Pain started Saturday night. Today it is still in my chest but comes & goes. I also woke up wi a soar throat today
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 1 hour later
Thank you for the followup, this is very helpful. The most significant thing about your history is your high blood pressure. This is a risk factor for heart disease. While it would probably be unusual for you to have chest pain at rest related to your heart, this must be a consideration. Pain related to heart disease is felt in the chest with occasional "radiation" of that pain into the left shoulder / arm. This needs to be addressed with your doctor ASAP. Other possibilities include:

1. Inflammation of the chest wall - costochondritis
2. Reflux disease
3. Lung disease (related to infection)

I would start with a call to your doctor to discuss the urgency of the situation. You will probably need an exam, a chest XRAY, and labs related to your heart.

I wish you the best of luck!