Having hip pain after gallbladder removal. What to do?

Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement

Posted on Tue, 19 Nov 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: I have right hip pain 5 days post op gallbladder removal
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
Need some more information on your symptoms.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

This is to inform you that there exists no relationship between Gall bladder removal and development of Hip pain. It may be due to a different pathology.

I need some more information on your symptoms to arrive at a possible diagnosis of your Hip pain.

- Your age and gender
- Onset of pain ( sudden or gradual )
- Nature of pain (stabbing, throbbing, stinging, burning, dull aching etc)
- Intensity of pain (mild, moderate or severe)
- Any recent history of injury or trauma to the right hip
- Location of pain in the Hip (whether present in the front, side or the back)
- Any radiation of pain from the hip downwards into the knee
- Is the pain made worse by any physical activity or any particular movement
- Is the pain present continuously throughout the day
- Are you a smoker or an Alcoholic
- Any other medical disorders you have like Hypertension, Diabetes or any medicines being taken for other conditions

Please provide detailed information for all the questions, as they are very relevant.