Having dry chapped lips with reddish purple outline. What is this?

Dr. Rahul Kumar

Dermatologist

Posted on Tue, 4 Jun 2013 in General Health
Question: I have had dry chapped lips for over two weeks. with some redish purple color around them. also have some redness in my cheeks that someone said looked like roseauca(sp) any way here is a pic. wondering what you think
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 17 minutes later
Thanks for the query and the picture.
Definitely It looks like Rosaceae.

The redness on your cheek and nose is suggestive of rosaceae, but I can also see that the area near nose folds is spared, this is creating a bit doubt of SLE.

Please get an XXXXXXX profile done, to rule out SLE.

The chapped lips might not be related to rosaceae or SLE.
It is looking like an associated peri oral dermatitis.

For now please use Metronidazole gel on the area of redness in night and a sunscreen with SPF more than 50 is must in day.

Kindly mail me the report, I will be always available to help you.

Thank you
Follow up: Dr. Rahul Kumar 14 minutes later
ok, so you think I have rosaceae. is that what the metronidazole gel would be for? also can you explain a little more what your are talking about in regards to the SLE....do you think I have it or should just check for precaution?

And what can I do about the chapped lips?

also have dry and sore red eyes....could that be from the rosacea...
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 25 minutes later
Thanks for the follow up.
Sorry I missed the treatment for chapped lips.

Ya metronidazole is for Rosacea.
It works in other inflammatory conditions of face as well.

Test is just to rule out SLE.

SLE is quiet a XXXXXXX condition, so I just want to make sure that you dont have it, as the initial presentation of SLE is also facial erythema.

Let me know if you have any other doubts.

Thank you
Follow up: Dr. Rahul Kumar 15 minutes later
so what should I do for the dry lips?
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 18 minutes later
Please use 1% hydrocortisone cream once in night for 7 days.
In day you can use Vaseline (white soft paraffin).

Dont use hydrocortisone for more than 7 days, as it is a mild steroid.

Vaseline you can use till you get complete relief.

Thank you