Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
182 Doctors are Online

Have scolisis, causes pain in shoulder and rib cage. Should visit neurologist or ortho doctor?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2007
Answered : 1201 Questions
I have scoliosis which causes me pain/tingling in my left shoulder and in the ribcage of my back. Within the last few months, if I get upset, my left shoulder spasms and my left arm and hand tremors mildly. Ativan relieves the problem as does 1-2 beers, but obviously I can't use this as a "treatment XXXXXXX Would a neurologist visit be a good idea? An ortho doctor? or what? This condition seems to have gotten more frequent since my brother died two months ago.
Posted Sun, 16 Jun 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 56 minutes later

Thanks for your health concerns. I believe that a visit to a neurologist would be very appropiate, as the first thing that has to be done is conducting a detailed physical examination particularly a good neurologic exam that includes reflexes and all modalities of sensation to determine if your symptoms are associated with a neurologic deficit. One of the issues that might be going on is a nerve compression at the radicular level due to degenerative disease of the spine. If indeed there is evidence of nerve compresssion, other neuropathic medications might help, such as gabapentin pgabalin or trycyclics; if there is spasm, then there are other long term options that a better than ativan including cyclobenzaprine.

Hope this helps wish you the best health blessings

Dr Brenes Salazar MD
Mayo Clinic MnN
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Neurologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor