Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
129 Doctors are Online

Have pleva. Is this associated with HIV? Should I get a blood test?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2006
Answered : 520 Questions
I have pleva. Is tbis associated with hiv? Should I get a blood test?
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Gaurang Krishna 2 hours later

Thanks for writing in.

PLEVA alone doesnt warrant HIV screening.

Though it has been associated with HIV in a few cases, the association is co-incidental (as per contemporary understanding of the disease).

Each patient has to be evaluated depending upon individual clinical factors and presentations.

If you are at high risk for HIV-

Unprotected intercourse

Drug Abuse

Blood transfusion at an unregistered blood bank etc

Then, getting HIV screening is strongly suggested.

So, to summarize only PLEVA doesnt need you to get an HIV test done.

However, having said that..there is no harm in getting the test.

You can get the test done is called voluntary testing or screeing (testing in healthy people).

I hope I have answered your query.

Please feel free to ask any further questions.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor