Have osteoporosis. Is it safe to stop taking fosomax while on calcium and vitamin d?
Many woman are advised breaks from Fosomax, especially those who are at a low risk for fractures and those who have not had any previous fractures, but a you were diagnosed with osteoporosis less than a year ago, your doctor would advise you to continue this for a while longer.
You will be at a higher risk for fractures without a bisphosphonate (fosomax) being part of your treatment. You will have to take extra care and precautions to prevent any injuries. Although vitamin D, calcium and walking will help, but will not be as good as a bisphosphonate.
I hope this helps, please write back to me for any further clarifications, and I would gladly help you.
Dr. Shoaib Khan
Fosomax is given in an injection form for osteoporosis mainly in patients suffering from bone degeneration. But, this is rarely advised as it has a few more side-effects.
Commonly administered injections to tackle osteoporosis are of different benefits, like:
Although bisphosphonates are considered to be most effective, they also have the most side effects. Depending on the grade of osteoporosis, your doctor will decide which drug would be most beneficial to you.
Wishing you the best of health with absolutely no complications or side effects. Do write back to me for any further clarifications.
Dr. Shoaib Khan
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Calcium tablets for osteoporosis
- Calcium infusion for osteoporosis
- How safe is fosamax for osteoporosis
- Osteoporosis taken calcium supplements vitamin d suggestions
- Can i take amlodipine besylate while osteoporosis
- Calcium channel blockers and osteoporosis
- Do calcium blockers cause osteoporosis
- Vitamin k and osteoporosis
- Taking vitamin d without calcium
- Mchc calcium to reverse osteoporosis
- Not getting proper sleep, don't want to take sleeping pills. What to take?
- Radiation done for tongue cancer. Started getting pain. How to overcome...
- How to get rid of swollen and painful inner labia?
- Have bradycardia. Got positive stress test and qrs-t angle on ekg. Risk...
- Suffering from chronic acute bronchitis and recurrent pneumonitis. Safe...
- Hard bump appeared on inner thigh and lower abdomen. What could be...
- Have severe dry eye. On Restasis. Used moisture pads. Nothing helped....
- Have osteoporosis. Is it safe to stop taking fosomax while on calcium...
- Sudden pop sound in back. Experiencing pain and hot flashes. Took...
- Suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder and bipolar 2. Why am I...