Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
171 Doctors are Online

Have myopathy and unable to walk. Is this curable? What are the treatment available?

Feb 2014
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 5930 Questions
HI, My brother have myopathy. He is not able to walk .He doesn't have any feeling from hip to toe. His age is 12 now. He was normally walking up to the age of Six.What type of treatment should be given to him...Can this be cured?
Posted Sun, 17 Mar 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 2 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.

No specific treatment is available for any of the congenital myopathies, but aggressive supportive care is essential to preserve muscle activity, to allow for maximal functional ability, and to prolong life expectancy.

Congenital myopathies can't be cured,Treatment may include several options.

Genetic counselors may help you to understand the genetics of his condition.
Medications may help treat symptoms of some myopathies.
You may need nutritional or respiratory support as his condition progresses.
Orthopedic support devices or other treatments, such as surgery to correct or improve scoliosis, may help him manage his condition.
Physical, occupational or speech therapy may help you manage your symptoms.

Hope this will help you. Please do write back if you have any additional concerns.

Wishing your brother good health...

Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor