Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
143 Doctors are Online

Have inflammation in ear. Ear looks bright red, thick, swollen and painful. Suffer from heat exhaustion. Should we go to ER?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

ENT Specialist
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 1109 Questions
My husband woke up with an inflamed ear. The entire outer ear is bright red and very thick & swollen, painful to the touch. On Saturday I thought he was suffering from heat exhaustion, and he rested and drank liquids most of yesterday. The swollen ear may not be related to that. Should we go to the ER? He is 59, 290 lbs, otherwise in good health.
Posted Sat, 6 Jul 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Abhishek Sharma 51 minutes later
Swollen and painful ear condition should not be taken lightly and you must consult an ENT specialist.
These conditions can be because of ----
1. Trauma--in traume there can be collection, which if gets infected then turn in to pus and may destroy the cartilage of the ear and lead to deformation of ear.
2. Seroma--Due to serous fluid collection , this can be due to minor trauma or some other systemic condition. This serous fluid also ,may get infected and lead to pus formation.
3. Cartilage inflamation ---there are many systemic disease like Relapsing polychondritis, sle, etc which may lead to inflamation of the cartilage.
There will be pain and destruction of cartilage without pus formation.

You must get examined and so that a diagnosis can be made, and if required blood investigations can be done.
If not possible , see a GP and take---
Hot fomentation of the ear
If required oral steroids

Get well soon.
If in doubt do reply.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor