Have hepatitis C with mood disorder. Stopped taking marijuana. Positive for urine test. Treatment?

Dr. Ashish Mittal

Psychiatrist

Posted on Thu, 3 Jan 2013 in Mental Health
Question: my son has hep c. he has stopped using marijuana for 45 days now. but still is testing positive for thc with over the counter urine tests. Does this have anything to do with his having hep c? He takes aderall,abilify, and klonopin. for mood disorders.
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 5 hours later
I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

Marijuana contains cannabis which is frequently causes psychological dependence on it after long term use. The major psychoactive chemical compound in cannabis is tetrahydrocannabinol (THC).

It is good that your son had stopped using it.

After single time use THC detected in body for following hours: Urine (2-3 days), blood (2-3days) and nail (6 months)

After habitual use (like in your friend case) THC detected in body for following hours: Urine (2-3 Months), blood (2-3 weeks) and nail (6 months)

So, after habitual use it can be detected in urine test after 45 days. As he is having hep c then it can be detected more than 3 months. Same, time monitor him and motivate him for not using marijuana in future.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.
Dr Ashish XXXXXXX Mittal