Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
194 Doctors are Online

Have hepatitis C with mood disorder. Stopped taking marijuana. Positive for urine test. Treatment?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 1854 Questions
my son has hep c. he has stopped using marijuana for 45 days now. but still is testing positive for thc with over the counter urine tests. Does this have anything to do with his having hep c? He takes aderall,abilify, and klonopin. for mood disorders.
Thu, 3 Jan 2013 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 5 hours later
Thanks for your query.
I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

Marijuana contains cannabis which is frequently causes psychological dependence on it after long term use. The major psychoactive chemical compound in cannabis is tetrahydrocannabinol (THC).

It is good that your son had stopped using it.

After single time use THC detected in body for following hours: Urine (2-3 days), blood (2-3days) and nail (6 months)

After habitual use (like in your friend case) THC detected in body for following hours: Urine (2-3 Months), blood (2-3 weeks) and nail (6 months)

So, after habitual use it can be detected in urine test after 45 days. As he is having hep c then it can be detected more than 3 months. Same, time monitor him and motivate him for not using marijuana in future.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.
Dr Ashish XXXXXXX Mittal
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Psychiatrist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor