Owl Image

Have fractured tailbone. Getting severe cramps and vaginal bleeding. Should I be concerned?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2013
Mar 2013
Question
Hi, I took a fall down some stairs about 4 days ago
And have jarred/ fractured my tailbone ( waiting on X-rays) but I also had intense cramping and have had vaginal bleeding since, my period was not due for another week and is never early. Should I be concerned or will this pass as it heals?
Wed, 23 Jan 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 1 hour later
Hello XXXXXXX,

An injury to the tailbone (coccyx) normally is not responsible for causing any vaginal bleeding or uterine symptoms like cramps, unless there was associated local trauma there.

Also, the only way to know why the irregular vaginal bleeding and cramping occurred, is to have a thorough gynecological check up, including an ultrasound of the pelvis and abdomen to rule out any associated injury sustained during your fall.