Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
162 Doctors are Online

Have dark itchy spot on leg with white centre. What could that be?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1996
Answered : 988 Questions
I have a dark spot on my left leg, it is straight above the leg bone and has a very small white dot in the centre. Its about 5cm in length and itchy sometimes specially after i take off my socks. It have been there for more than a year to say the least and not sure if it is getting bigger. It is not raised, so it is flat withe rest of the siin, just feels very dry. I wonder what could that be, afraid it could a cancer. i have no family history of any cancers. I can send u a picture of it if that is possible.
Posted Wed, 31 Jul 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 6 hours later

Thank you for posting your query,

The pictures you have sent are not very clear,but I understand your problem,and it would be very useful if you can answer few of my relevant questions regarding your problem.
1) How long you have been having this?
2) Are the dark spots multiple small tiny spots spread around the ankle and lower leg or is it a single big patch on the leg?
3) Are they on both legs?
4) Do you have multiple white spots or is it a single white spot in the center?

Answer to these questions would help me understand your problem better.Even a close up picture of the lesion would help me further. So if you can send me a clear picture of the lesion on the leg ,I would appreciate.

I shall address your concern based on your current given information.
With history what you have submitted ,there seems to be two possibilities.

If they are multiple tiny dark spots then it could be schamberg's disease ,which is a benign condition caused due to breakage of tiny blood vessels .They don't cause any harm ,but are only of cosmetic importance.The other possibility is of lichen simplex chronicus(LSC) ,condition in which we observe a black patch which is itchy.

The white spot which you see, can either be depigmented spot caused due to itching or could be Idiopathic guttate hypomelanosis(IGH).
IGH is a benign condition ,but you can try use tacrolimus cream on it to reduce it.

All these conditions mentioned above are very benign and are not related to any cancer.So you be rest assured.

If it is LSC the you need to apply any potent topical steroid on it for good relief.You can get these creams prescribed from a dermatologist.

If you can reply me with the answers and close up clear pictures, I would be able to suggest you better.

Awaiting for your reply.
Dr.Bharat chawda XXXXXXX specialist, Dermatology.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have dark itchy spot on leg with white centre. What could that be? 8 hours later
Thank you very much doctor.
Please find the answers below:
1) I have been having it for about 2 years
2) The dark spot is a single patch on the leg, front side, awayvfrom ankle.
3) It is on the left leg only.
4) it is a single whte pot in the centre.

I have sent another picture that is more clear
Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 16 hours later

Thank you for the reply and pictures.

According to the pictures and your reply the possibility of it being lichen simplex xhronicus seems to be more likely.This condition is associated with mild itching and pigmentation.There can be a white spot in such conditions which can develop due to constant itching.

I usually prescribe potent topical steroid cream like clobetasole in such conditions .But I would advice you to consult a dermatologist for proper prescription and follow up.You can even take oral anti histaminics like cetrizine to control itching.

This condition is not associated with any cancer ,so you be rest assured.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Dr.Bharat chawda XXXXXXX specialist, Dermatology.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor