Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
165 Doctors are Online

Have dark circles around eyes. Should I undergo plastic surgery to remove dark circles?

Jul 2012
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1993
Answered : 1196 Questions
Hi Doctor,

I have dark circles around my eyes which became significantly visible some 7-8 years back but they were present before that also. Have been trying to get rid of it since couple of years but in vain. I tried with some creams as prescribed by the doctor whom I visited an year ago. I was wondering if I can undergo cosmetic/plastic surgery to remove off my dark circles. I have younger brother with similar problem and my mom has slightly visible dark circles(not significant).

Thanks in advance for your advise.
Posted Tue, 14 May 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 53 minutes later
Hi there.

I read your detailed history & empathise with your problem.
Dark circles or Peri-Orbital melanosis is a very difficult condition to treat.
In your case, genetics seems to be playing a major role.
It can arise simply due to lack of good sleep / & / or on account of stress & dehyration or improper hydration..this can be easily addressed with a visit to a psychologist & a dietitian & their advice taken in combination.
Creams do help but to a certain extent. Off the shelf creams available, Neutrogena has an under eye cream to reduce pigmenatation & dark circles that can be bought sans prescription in large pharmacies' & may help.
My personal experience has been with a treatment modality called 'mesotherapy' that involves in this case, the injection of Carbon-dioxide gas in small quantities under the eyes. This i have done while abroad & while it is not yet that popular in India, am sure the larger centres in Pune/Mumbai nearer you will have this equipment & skilled people to do this!
Good Luck & here's wishing you a clear skin soon.
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor