Have chesty cough and difficulty in swallowing. Safe to go for endoscopy?

Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 24 Dec 2012 in General Health
Question: Hi, I have a really chesty cough and i have to have an endoscopy as i am having difficulty swallowing is it still safe to have this procedure or will i have to wait for the cough to subside?
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 28 minutes later
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Cough itself is not an contraindication for endoscopy, however if it causes difficulty in breathing, than endoscopy should not be performed. So if your cough is really bad, it would be reasonable to reschedule your endoscopy and wait for your cough to subside.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.