Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

Have charcot marie tooth type 1a. Noticed redness and swelling on toe. Worried for fracture

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Cosmetic & Plastic Surgeon
Practicing since : 2000
Answered : 249 Questions
I have Charcot XXXXXXX Tooth type 1 A. With significant neuropathy in my feet. I have pes cavis and all toe are hammer toes. Last night I believe I fractured my pinky toe it is swollen, red and the underside of it is a drk gray color. Because I do not have much feeling in my foot the pain is tolerable. Do you think I need to spend the time to go to the emergency room on a Saturday or can I wait until Monday and try to get a office appointment?
Posted Fri, 8 Mar 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Souvik Adhikari 10 minutes later

If you have fractured the pinky toe and the fracture involves the phalanges or the bones within the toes then you can wait until Monday and try to get an office appointment. Fracture of the metatarsal of the same toe or the long bone that lies behind the pinky toe might again be watchfully managed unless the broken ends are largely displaced.
If you want to wait until Monday, I would advise you to just strap the pinky toe to the adjacent toe using a bandage so that it is splinted against the adjacent normal toe. This would limit the pain and stabilize the fracture in such a position that it would promote healing. You are also advised to keep your foot on top of a pillow because elevation of the foot helps in decreasing the swelling associated with a fracture.
Medications are important to decrease pain and inflammation associated with a fracture. You are advised to take analgesics on a regular schedule because this would decrease pain and at the same time reduce inflammation. You can also apply ice over the toe to decrease swelling.
If you follow these conservative measures then I feel that you can wait until Monday for an appointment. However, if you experience excruciating pain or any other complications then you are advised to abandon this conservative procedure and go to the ER directly.
Please let me know if you have further questions.
Best wishes!!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor