Have blood pressure of 140/100. Should I take precautions in consumption of salt?

Dr. Aparna Amritsagar

Posted on Tue, 11 Dec 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Hi,
Today i checked my BP (140/100). Dr. said its at border and to take precautions in consumption of salt.
Appreciate if you can advise me how to control the issue.
Answered by Dr. Aparna Amritsagar 53 minutes later
Hello XXXXXXX

Blood pressure of 140/100 is a borderline recording. Just one high Blood pressure recording does not indicate that you have hypertension. When you get three such high recordings of blood pressure on three different occasions, then you need to worry.

Blood pressure recording can be affected by various factors like exertion, stress, anxiety, coffee, tea intake, cigarette smoking. So be sure that you are not having tea, coffee, or smoking cigarette 30 minutes prior to blood pressure recording. Even the stress of visiting a doctor can also increase your blood pressure and heart rate in borderline range. That’s called White coat hypertension which is due to anxiety in the doctor's clinic.

Salt in our diet contains sodium. Normally the kidneys control the level of salt. If there is too much salt, the kidneys pass it into urine. But when our salt intake levels are very high, the kidneys cannot keep up and the salt ends up in our bloodstream. Salt attracts water. When there is too much salt in the blood, the salt draws more water into the blood. More water increases the volume of blood which raises blood pressure.

The recommended amount of salt for people with high blood pressure is about 1500 milligrams a day. Avoid condiments, pickles, cheese, anything canned & processed. You need to check the sodium content on food labels and think twice about anything with over 100 mg per serving.

Things which you can do to reduce your blood pressure.

1.     Reduce weight if you are overweight. Exercise regularly. Regular physical activity of just 30 minutes per day can reduce your blood pressure by 4-8 mmHg.

2.     Eat a healthy diet - Eating a diet that is XXXXXXX in whole grains, fruits, vegetables and low-fat dairy products and reduced intake of saturated fat can lower your blood pressure by up to 14 mm Hg. Make a shopping list before heading to the supermarket to avoid picking up junk food. Read food labels when you shop and stick to your healthy-eating plan when you're dining out.Even a small reduction in the sodium in your diet can reduce blood pressure by 2 to 8 mm Hg.

3.     Limit intake of alcohol if you are drinking.

4.     Avoid tobacco products and secondhand smoke.

5.     Reduce intake of tea, coffee.

6.     Reduce your stress - Stress or anxiety can temporarily increase blood pressure.
7. Regularly followup with your doctor to check your blood pressure.

I hope i have answered your query. In case you have any further questions i will be happy to help you.Wish you good health.
Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Aparna Kohli
Follow up: Dr. Aparna Amritsagar 23 minutes later
Thanks Dr. XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Aparna Amritsagar 1 hour later

Do follow the simple steps which i had mentioned, that will help you to keep your blood pressure in control.Take care.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Mohammed Kappan