Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
156 Doctors are Online

Have babesia. Done with dark field microscope video of peripheral blood. PCR is negative. Suggestion?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 2565 Questions
I have dark field microscope video of my peripheral blood on a CD that the technician says shows "clearly" I have babesia. She is not allowed to write that. The doctor won't write it. I can't get treated because no one will look at the film and do the identification. My CD-57 is 8, so my antibody generation not so reliable. PCR is negative, which given the state of the science is not saying much. Who can review film and identify? It is time-stamped for ease and speed of viewing.
Posted Mon, 5 Aug 2013 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 13 hours later
Hello and thanks for the query.

First of all, I would not rely on a technician interpretation of a blood film. It is absolutely inappropiate for an individual who is not trained and credentialed in blood film interpretation to speculate on findings.

If you are concerned, I would recommend that you have your physician send the blood film or video to a trained hematopathologist. Hematopathologists are experts in interpreting blood film and have a minimum of 5 years of microscope training prior to practicing independently or within a group.

Again, this is something that requires an expert opinion with a physical interaction with your blood film or slide. Right now we do not have software that has high enough defiinition to allow for a physician to remotely provide a diagnosis. Any regional referral center or university will have trained hematopathologists on staff who may assist you.

Thanks again for the query.

Please let me know if I can be of any additional assistance.

Dr. Galamaga
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Hematologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor