Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
182 Doctors are Online

Had developed cough. Found enterobactercloacae in lung. Possible treatment?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 1995
Answered : 2202 Questions
My husband has just been informed by a chest consultant that he has enterobactercloacae in his lung. He developed a cough in April after we returned from a visit to Thailand and Australia. The consultant said e has never before seen this in the lung as it is usually in the gut . . . He said it is resistant to most anti biotics. I am wondering where we can find the best possible treatment . . And quickly. My husband is an exceptionally fit 49 year old playing squash and racket ball at county level. I am extremely worried and would appreciate any advice
Posted Tue, 8 Oct 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
I would like to have some more information.

Detailed Answer:
Regarding Enterobacter cloacae ,as per medical literature it can cause lower respiratory tract infections. Though it is a member of normal gut flora, it can cause variety of infections like urinary tract infections, skin infections, bone infections, eye infections etc apart from respiratory tract infections.

First of all, I would like to know that how did he come to a conclusion that the infection is due to that specific bacteria? Whether Culture has been done? IF Culture is done, then what is the result of Sensitivity test to antibiotics?

Though it is resistant to most antibiotics, Aminoglycosides like Gentamicin may act on it. Cefepime is another antibiotic which is effective.

So, nothing to worry.
Please send his sputum for Culture and sensitivity if at all it is not done before.
Please send me full details that how did your chest consultant diagnosed Enterobacter cloacae.
What are the investigations that are done to establish the diagnosis?

Hope I answered your query.
If you have any questions, I will clarify further
Wish him good health and speedy recovery
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Had developed cough. Found enterobactercloacae in lung. Possible treatment? 2 days later
My husbands consultant performed a bronchoscopy and took tissue samples from deep within the lungs and also sputum tests. . . This showed enterobacter cloacae.
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Use appropriate antibiotic

Detailed Answer:

Even if culture reveals resistance to most antibiotics, I would use antibiotics like cefepime and gentamycin. His treating doctor will know about the drugs.

Wish him speedy recovery.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Pulmonologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor