Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
179 Doctors are Online

Had accident. Minor skin abrasion and bump seen. Painful to walk. Which specialist should I go for?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 2000
Answered : 170 Questions
My 13 year old son fell off of a stunt bike about a week ago at summer camp. The bike handle jammed into his thigh when he attempted to jump off a ramp and fell. Initially, he did not think it was a big deal as it appeared to be a minor skin abrasion. However, a few days after the accident he noticed a bump which has been growing larger over the last week. I picked him up today from camp and he showed me a large scary lump (size of an apple) on his inner thigh. It is painful to touch and if he moves his leg beyond normal walking. I have never seen anything like this and wondering if there is anything we can do to treat or what kind of physician to see.
Posted Thu, 26 Jul 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Atul Wankhede 2 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.

Your son must have injured himself internally besides the skin abrassion. The lump which you notice seems to be a haematoma (internal bleeding) that's usually caused by rupture of some blood vessel in his thigh. Usually these swelling are self limiting and will regress in a couple of days. You might notice change in its colour when it heals, from red to blue and finally pale to normal skin colour.

Haematoma's are very painful. You can take him to your family physician or orthopaedician and depending upon its size and severity they can decide to either excise it surgically or allow it to regress on its own. The only precaution that you must keep in mind is that it should not get infected (from any other source in body), cause if it does it will turn into an abscess.

In my opinion, give him hot fomentation with douche bag twice a day, ask him to take absolute bed rest, administer anti inflammatory medicines with your physicians advice, supported walking and if this doesn't work take an x XXXXXXX or sonography to diagnose the root of trouble.

Kindly write back if you need more help, I'm available for follow up.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor