Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
160 Doctors are Online

Got congestive heart failure. Unable to sleep due to fluid build up on the lungs. What should be done to get relief?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1981
Answered : 922 Questions
Told got chf, awaiting appointments but cant sleep because of fluid build up on the lungs I believe, how can I get more then 1 hours sleep this has been ongoing every night for a couple of weeks and do fall asleep but wake up frequently need sleep urgently
Posted Mon, 19 Nov 2012 in Heart Failure
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 2 hours later
Hi there,
Thanks for writing in.
I am a qualified and certified cardiologist. I read your mail with diligence.
I quite understand your problem and will suggest the following means.
1. Please use pillows that keeping neck straight your head and chest is bent to higher level that is propped up position.
2. Among the prescribed medicines if there is diuretic prescribed like Thiazide please take a dose more than you had been taking. If you have not been prescribed, your general physician can prescribe one and tell you whether to supplement it with potassium or not depending on the other drugs you are taking.
Please limit liquid intake. Also get your weight recorded every alternate day that would indicate if you are retaining fluid for that would be a cause for concern.
3. Please keep your air pathways clear specially during winter, steam inhalation before going to sleep shall help.
4. If there is provision of availability of over the counter oxygen inhalation kit please inhale oxygen at low rate 2 Litres per minute. If not available OTC, your general physician can help you in getting it. The room should be well ventilated otherwise also.
5. Ask your GP if you need any medicine for infection and for bronchospasm for these conditions aggravate the symptoms and can co exist.
6. Take small dose of OTC available sleep medicine.
If you still can not sleep or sleep as little you have described. A visit to ER and emergency consultation with a cardiologist is indicate. If you have a question for me please ask, I will be most happy to answer. Good Luck.
With best wishes.
Dr Anil Grover,
Medical Specialist & Cardiologist
M.B.;B.S, M.D. (Internal Medicine) D.M.(Cardiology)
http://www/ WWW.WWWW.WW
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Cardiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor