Got cartilage pierced. Have been feverish and fatigued. Is it viral? Or infected by HIV?

Dr. Gaurang Krishna

Dermatologist

Posted on Fri, 6 Jul 2012 in HIV and AIDS
Question: I got my cartilage pierced about 5 to 6 days ago and I started feeling feverish and fatigue which are typical symptoms of viral infections since yesterday. I got the piercing done at local Claire's and I believe the person who did the piercing used prepackaged studs and a piercing gun. I was just worried if the symptoms I'm having may be related to possible exposure or infection to HIV or just random fluke that happened to occur right after getting my ear pierced. Please let me know ASAP. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Gaurang Krishna 4 hours later

Thanks for writing in.

Having flu like symptoms, certainly does not mean HIV seroconversion.

We have to look at the background first.

As the person used pre-packaged studs, there is negligible chance of HIV transmission.
These days, the piercers are very professional and take care of these things so there should not be anything to be worried about.

Nevertheless, no time is bad time to get tested for HIV.

You may consider getting yourself tested at a local hospital.
This type of testing is called screening (tests done in healthy individuals).
Look at it as a normal blood check up. Do not be worried or anxious.

I hope I have answered your query.
If you have any further question, please let me know

Thanks and regards