Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
172 Doctors are Online

Getting pain in knee joint. Have varicose veins since birth. What are the treatments available?

User rating for this question
Answered by

Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 262 Questions
Vericos veins - My wife occassionally feels the pain in the right leg where on the back side of the knee joint (above calf muscle) she has vericos veins which is there since her birth. When the veins swells and color turns bluish she feels the pain. Is there any medicine for this? Or can this be cured through some simple operation?
Posted Thu, 25 Apr 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Balaji Chinnasami 30 minutes later
Thanks for your query to healthcare magic.

The various treatment options for varicose veins include:

1. Self-care like exercising, losing weight, not wearing tight clothes, elevating your legs, and avoiding long periods of standing/sitting, avoid high heels& sitting crossed legs — all this can ease pain and prevent varicose veins from getting worse.

2. Wearing compression stockings (Compression stockings are worn all day. They steadily squeeze your legs, helping veins and leg muscles move blood more efficiently. The amount of compression varies by type and brand.) Consult a surgeon for the prescription strength (i.e. amount of compression) of the stocking.

3. Other less invasive (i.e. simple surgical procedures) treatment options are,

- sclerotherapy(In this procedure, doctor injects small and medium sized varicose veins with a solution that scars and closes those veins. This needs no anesthesia and can be done in your doctor's office.)

- Laser surgeries (Doctors use laser beam treatments to close off smaller varicose veins)

-Vein stripping (This procedure involves removing a long vein through small incisions. This also is an outpatient procedure for most people)

-Ambulatory phlebectomy (Your doctor removes smaller varicose veins through a series of tiny skin punctures. this too is an outpatient procedure with minimal scarring)

Hope I have helped you with your queries. You can discuss these treatment options with your surgeon. If you have any further queries, I am happy to help, if no kindly close the query & rate it.

Take care,
Dr. Balaji Chinnasami, MD
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor