question-icon

First day of my last period was on 12/29/19 I

Posted on Wed, 6 Mar 2019
Question: First day of my last period was on 12/29/19 I had an ultrasound on feb 5 which said I was 6wk 1d pregnant. wouldn't I have been on my period at that time?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
there is a small margin of error

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Early ultrasounds in pregnancy are considered to be fairly accurate. According to Medscape (professional medical website) and an article entitled Issues in Pregnancy dating, there is a small margin of error of approximately 8%.

Some sites quote a margin of just over one week.

This means, that if the bleeding was truly a period and not implantation bleeding, that the ultrasound may be slightly inaccurate.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Dr. Michelle Gibson James