Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

128 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Finger joint with a lump filled with liquid. What is this?

Answered by
Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein

General Surgeon

Practicing since :2008

Answered : 10178 Questions

Posted on Fri, 29 Nov 2013 in Women's Health
Question: I have a finger joint with a lump with what appears to be filled with a liquid-it is also inflamed.I have sometimes pricked it to release the liquid . YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 30 minutes later
Brief Answer: Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Detailed Answer: Thanks for the query. In most cases this is cyst called ganglion cyst and this happens typically around finger and wrist joints. usually there is no some obvious reason for it but sometimes it happens due to prolonged pressure or intensive finger activity. It is filled with liquid which may become inflammed. It is not advisable to prick it by yourself. better consult surgeon and then permanent solution can be achieved by surgical removal under local anasthesia. Also,it can be drained by needle but then it may reocur so surgical removal is the best treatment.If there are signs of infalmmation now(redness,pain, pus) you should visit doctor too and start antibiotic treatment.If you notice finger numbness and swelling then consult doctor too as it may indicate nerve and vessels pressure. Wish you good health. Feel free to ask. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Follow up: Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 1 hour later
THank you for your explanation and advice-I shall consult my Doctor.
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 28 hours later
Brief Answer: you are welcome Detailed Answer: Wish you good luck
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

Recent questions on  Ganglion cysts

doctor1 MD

I have a knot under the skin of my finger. It looks like a huge blood blister but is not from an injury .

doctor1 MD

I had a dorsal ganglion cyst removed last Thursday. I have mobility in my wrist and hands but I now have pain in my arm. It started in my bicep and has traveled to my forearm. Is this normal? What should I do to relieve the pain? How long is this pain supposed to last?

doctor1 MD

My son had a ganglion cyst surgical excision in his wrist about three months ago and now has what his doctor referred to as complex regional pain syndrome with slight redness, swelling and a lot of pain. What is the usual outcome of this? Does it ever get better?

doctor1 MD

I had a MRI done on my right wrist and the findings was I have a small ganglion cyst measuring 4x7x5 mm near the radial styloid and a mild degenerative cyst formation in the lunate, the MRI was after I had surgery,what causes the cyst and could there be more forming?

doctor1 MD

I have a ganglion on the left side of my left foot. It is painful. Is there any home remedy or will I have to seek medical intervention.

doctor1 MD

hi sir, I have been masturbating since last 8 years.My age is now 27.I do once in a week.I would like to stop it.Will masturbation leads to anything like prostate cancer?? or any other health effetcs.Sometimes after masturbation i will get...