Experienced symptoms of Holiday Heart after a night of excessive

Dr. Sameer Maheshwari

Cardiologist

Posted on Sun, 3 Mar 2019 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Experienced symptoms of Holiday Heart after a night of excessive binge drinking. The only symptom I had was irregular heartbeat, I did not have any other symptoms associated with said condition and felt perfectly fine otherwise. However, the irregular heartbeat has hit me on and off throughout the week a few days after. When I went to the ER they told me if I have no other symptoms it should go away and I do not need treatment. Should I go back to ER or just wait it out and avoid alcohol? Basically feel perfectly fine but just have had occasional irregular heartbeats throughout the week following...
Answered by Dr. Sameer Maheshwari 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Just get a basic Holter monitoring done

Detailed Answer:
Welcome.
This is Dr Sameer, can.
The type of palpitations and irregular beats you are telling seems like VPCs which are some extra beats originating from places other than normal conducting system of the heart.
If not too much it can be normal and just can be related to alcohol binge. It can also be some abnormal arrythmia which sometimes does not show up on the ECG which is just a few seconds recording of the heart.
So I will advise you to first stop alcohol and get a 2D Echo and a Holter monitoring done. Holter is a 24hr continuous monitoring of ECG and is a simple small wearable device. That will accurately tell whether things are normal or not.
I hope this helps.
Thanks and take care
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj