Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
179 Doctors are Online

Eating fish. Felt bone stuck in throat. Feeling discomfort while swallowing. Remedy?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

ENT Specialist
Practicing since : 1991
Answered : 2542 Questions
Hi I was eating fish (cod) last Tuesday and i felt a bone in my mouth, i spat out my food and seen half a small bone so im not sure if i swallowed the other half of the fish bone or not! I didn't feel any discomfort at the time. However, 4 days later I was eating chips and felt they were going down my throat so slowly and pain in the middle of my chest bone, now its nearly a week, i still get a pain every time in the same area in my chest bone. Im not sure if its a fishbone, a scratch or maybe the chips caused this? My breathing is fine and when i drink water and fluids its fine! Just dislike the uncomfortable feeling of food going down so slowly and then the sudden discomfort in my chest bone!! I'm so worried, im afraid to eat properly and sleep!!!
Posted Wed, 12 Jun 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 2 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. Get a set of X-rays (PAand Lateral) of the Neck, Chest and Abdomen done. A fish bone is mostly visible on X-rays.

2. The narrowest part of the food tract is the entrance of the food pipe. Once food or a foreign body passes through, there is usually no problem. Only if the fish bone is very sharp, it may get stuck. Usually it is an abrasion or spasm caused by a sharp fish bone.

3. If the symptoms do not subside in a couple of days, you will have to get a videolaryngoscopy done, followed by an opinion from a Gastroenterologist. an endoscopy may be required only if symptoms worsen or if the fish bone is seen on X-rays.

4. Medication is likely to mask the symptoms and hence should be taken only under strict medical supervision.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor