Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
181 Doctors are Online

Done liver function test. What should I do to bring SGOT and SGPT level under control? Can I drink red wine?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 466 Questions
Hi doctor i ahve done my lever function test and it show the SGOT(AST) 72 U/L and SGPT (ALT) 162 U/L . I use to drink alcohol and i use to eat fried food, with a body weight of 99 KG . Please suggest me what i need to do to bring it under control level as soon as possible. Can i take Red wine instead of wiskey some times once in a week about 2-3 glasses.??
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 17 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query.

Raised levels of AST and ALT are commonly caused by fat deposition in the liver also called as fatty liver. This can happen both due to the consumption of alcohol as well as sedentary lifestyle.

My first suggestion is to get an ultrasound of the upper abdomen done to rule out fatty liver.
XXXXXXX (non alcoholic steatohepatitis/ fatty liver) is basically excess fat deposition in the liver along with inflammation. It is usually suspected when the liver enzymes, ALT & AST are raised in the blood.

1) Avoid fatty, fried food, processed food completely.

2) Concentrate more on fruits and veggies.

3) Avoid alcohol (even wine) right now as it can worsen the symptoms.

4) Go for a regular walk for 45 minutes daily.

Kindly visit a Physician for evaluation, so that appropriate treatment can be started soon.

Hope this answers your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor