question-icon

Does weight gain affect the hernia?

Posted on Mon, 17 Sep 2018
Question: I have gained quite a bit of weight, I have some type of hernia in my stomach area and it seems to be growing a have gotten somewhat hard and firm. Do I need to assume the weight gain may be affecting the hernia?
It is almost in the shape of a banana.
Answered by Dr. Bhagyesh V. Patel (39 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Definite relation of weight gain with hernia progress .

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

I have evaluated your query thoroughly .

* There is definite relation of weight gain with hernia as obesity is prone to increase weakness and straining of muscles of abdomen wall.

Kindly provide further details so that I can answer your query completely.

1. What are the recent changes in weight?
2. Duration of hernia with progress over the period.
3. Associated symptoms of vomiting or other systemic features.
4. Do you have any endocrine issue as diabetes , thyroid problem or others?
5. If possible and no objection, a photo picture of hernia as an attachment in the follow up session .

Awaiting for your response .

Dr. Bhagyesh V. Patel, General Surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Bhagyesh V. Patel

General Surgeon