Does severe pain in the solar plexus require medical attention?

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Tue, 21 Aug 2018 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: My husband has somewhat severe pain in his solar plexus. He took several antacid chews a couple of hours ago and the pain receded but now it has returned. Does he need to go to the hospital.
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 45 minutes later
Brief answer:

Give him omeprazole (over the counter).

Detailed Answer:

Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

As pain is responding to antacids there are chances that the pain is due to gastritis or acid peptic problem.
I would suggest him to take Omeprazole 40 mg twice daily for 3 days.Its a proton pump inhibitor and works well on gastritis and other acid peptic disorders.
However in case pain does not respond to it then you could go to emergency room.
If pain is relieved then a planned endoscopy should be done to see if there are gastric ulcers in gut.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr. Ramesh Kumar, Gastroenterologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana