Does intense pain after treatment through shots to the facet joint require immediate attention?

Dr. Ivo Ditah

Posted on Thu, 6 Dec 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: My wife is experiencing extreme pain. She has received treatment for facet joint, through shots. I think it was also called nerve ablatian? We are on vacation, and the pain is intense. I am using ice packs. She can walk once she gets up with difficulty, but can walk. I wanted to take her to an emergency room but she would prefer to wait until we return home in ten days. What do you think, doctor?
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Let her get pain medications!

Detailed Answer:

Hi and thanks so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about this intense pain your wife is experiencing.

This pain is not life threatening but could be a source of major discomfort.

If this pain is so intense that it disrupts most of her day or really disrupts the vacation planning, I will recommend that she gets good pain medication.

If she can tolerate the pain, then that is okay.

Potent pain medications are not available over the counter. However, a combination of Tylenol and Ibuprofen(if she has not stomach problem) can provide reasonable pain relief in the interim.

I hope this helps. I wish your wife well. Feel free to follow up with me if need be.

Keep me updated with the progress, especially when you try the above drugs.

Dr. Ivo Ditah
Follow up: Dr. Ivo Ditah 4 hours later
Thank you. She is sleeping finally and Tylenol seemed to help. She doesn't tolerate pain medications that well, not that she has a stomach problem. I appreciate the response.
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 16 hours later
Brief Answer:

You are welcome. Keep me updated!

Detailed Answer:

I am glad to hear she felt better and could catch some sleep. Let me know how this goes over the vacation until you get home and see your regular doctor.

I wish you well.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr. Ivo Ditah,