Does fluid leakage from the leg of a patient with congestive heart failure pose a serious concern?

Dr. Chobufo Ditah

Posted on Sat, 8 Sep 2018 in General Health
Question: 78 yr old husband has congestive heart failure and multiple other ailments. Ankles very swollen. One leg has begun to seep clear water. Takes 2 diuretics per day. Seriousness of seeping water? Can make appt with dr tomorrow and assume cardiologist is one to see. OK to wait until tomorrow?
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Wait until tomorrow. No need for n ER visit!

Detailed Answer:

Thanks you so much for this query.

I have gone through your complaints.

This seeping fluid is from the accumulation of fluid in the legs seen the failure of the heart to pump adequately from the legs back to the heart and body. There is no emergency at this point. Get a follow up appointment with his cardiologist as we may need to increase the dosage of his water pill. In addition, let him raise the legs whenever possible to facilitate fluid return to the heart and decreased seeing. Reduced sodium and water intake would also be very helpful.

I hope this addresses your worry fully. I wish your husband well.

Dr. Chobufo Ditah, General & Family Physician
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D