Does diabetic patient require regular clinical examination?

Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis

Posted on Mon, 6 Jun 2016 in General Health
Question: I read in Consumer Reports that many Doctors sued for malpractice,errors et al can be found on websites. My complaint is my doctor sits and smiles, does not ask me to undress and rarely touches me, Others highly recommend her but I feel she does little and what is done is done by nurses. She says see you next year. As I am a diabetic I feel visits and CARE should be more often..I moved here from N Y where I was seen and thoroughly examined every 3 months,, I have changed Doctors but within the same practice,I was sent to a specialist who Xrayed my elbow said I had bone spurs but due to age and diabetes no surgery. I wanted
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
diabetic patients require regular clinical examination

Detailed Answer:

although every doctor has one's own practice strategies, it's common sense that diabetic patients require regular clinical examination to detect problems like neuropathy, foot ulcers or infections, etc. In some cases examination is not required. For example a patient visiting the office to evaluate recent tests (but the patient should have been examined when ordering the tests!). In well educated patients (diabetes-wise) the need for clinical examination can be lower. An experienced patient may help the doctor a lot in that regard. Talking about malpractice is another story though... Malpractice requires harm to the patient because of the doctor's bad practice.

The meantime between visits can be different depending on the patient's condition. Some patients do not need so close surveillance. Others may require frequent visits, particularly when complications occur.

It seems that your text was somehow interrupted and I suppose you have more questions to ask, so please use your follow-up questions to do so.

Kind Regards!