What do my blood sugar reports indicate?

Dr. Suma Parinam

Posted on Sat, 24 Feb 2018 in Kidney Conditions
Question: My blood sugar been up above 250 for a while i guess. The highest reading I got were 420 I went to doctor 3 days ago and he put me on metformin. I have been not eating anything I shouldn't and it still holding around 250 Friends of mine that are diabetics for long time told me I need insulin that this won't work. They said it is killing my kidneys and liver How long can you go with high levels before it destroys you organs?
Answered by Dr. Suma Parinam 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It is not high levels that complicate but the fluctuations

Detailed Answer:

THere is no definite time line before the organs start effecting. But you have to look for the following before they start affecting organs.
1) Avoid sedentary life and have a regular activity in the form of walking, cycling. Do not indulge in sports or high strenous activities. It would not help control sugars.
2) THe blood sugars should not fluctuate often, they should be steadily maintained even at high normal levels. Fluctuations cause serious problems. You can maintain between 120 to 200 before and after food. But if there is a huge variation like 60 to 250 before and after then it starts affecting the vessels. If you maintain good levels it takes decades for the complications to set in.
3) If Metformin does not help in 4 weeks along with good diet and exercise you should add more medicines like Vidagliptin which your doctor knows.
4) Preventive check ups especially cholesterol, eye check up, foot ulcers and urine microalbumin levels. I suggest to take Pneumonia in 5yrs and Flu shots every year.
Follow up: Dr. Suma Parinam 5 minutes later
So the 250 level i am getting is not dagerous
Answered by Dr. Suma Parinam 27 hours later
Brief Answer:
It's just high and needs to be controlled

Detailed Answer:
Sorry for the late reply,

Yes, it's high and needs to be controlled with more drugs or insulin. Dangerous to organs depends on longevity and fluctuations.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee