Does Warfarin cause calcification of arteries?

Dr. Shailja Puri

Pathologist and Microbiologist

Posted on Thu, 2 Mar 2017 in Blood Disorders
Question: I am a warfarin user because I inherited a blood clotting defective cene known as the f5 lyden factor. I have been in the hospital twice with massive blood clots in both lungs. Recently I have found out that warfarin puts calcium into arteries of rats causing calcification of the arteries. Thus while taking warfarin I am protecting myself from excessive blood clots but I am putting calcium in my arteries causing hardening of the arteries. Thus its a case of choosing your poison.

But recently I discovered that vitamin K2 prevents calcium from entering the arteries. so what I want to know is does K2 interfere with warfarin's ability to prevent blood clots the same way as K1 does.? If not warfarin suers should be advise to consume K2 to protect from calcification of the arteries.
Is it safe to take Vitamin K2?
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Warfarin does not cause calcification, warfarin is inhibited by Vit K1 & K2

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for posting your query on HealthcareMagic.

Before answering your query I would like to throw some light of some facts:

1. The most dreaded side effect of warfarin is bleeding. Depostion of calcium in arteries of humans is not well documented and is thus not a common side effect.

The dosage of warfarin is monitored by INR.
In your case, INR should be strictly maintained between 2 and 3.

2. Both vitamin K1 and K2 are antagonists of warfarin, thus vitamin K or vitamin K containing food items should be taken under supervision and after consultation with your doctor.

I hope, the above mentioned points have cleared your concerns, feel free to ask in case of any further doubts.

Thanks and take care
Dr Shailja Puri

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee