Does R-Cinex help cure tuberculosis?

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Fri, 5 May 2017 in Infections
Question: My two year old child is having r cinex as she is suffereing from tb infection. How long this medicine is to be taken? Is it curable?
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Usually 6 months. 100% curable

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on healthcaremagic.

RCINEX is usually required to be taken for 6 months. However, the exact regimen may vary depending upon the category of tuberculosis (based on organ affected, etc.). After 6 months a re-evaluation would be needed to ascertain that the infection has been cured or whether further treatment would be necessary.

Tuberculosis is fully curable provided the child is otherwise immunocompetent.

Feel free to write back.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 34 minutes later
What can be the causes of TB. No one in my house is suffering from TB.
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Almost everbody has this germ but merely having it will not make u diseased

Detailed Answer:
TB can only be caused by infection with the germs of tuberculosis (Mycobacterium tuberculi). In XXXXXXX this germ is very common and almost each of us (you or me) has this germ. This does not mean that having the germ would give us disease. Only ones having low immunity get this disease. The level of immunity in children can be low and could predispose them. The exact dynamics need to be carefully evaluated and proper correlation would be needed.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 20 hours later
My doctor said that as my child weight was just 500gm lesser than average weight of children of her age, he suspected TB. He did MT test and it was positive. So I am confused that whether the criteria for TB is weight? Because many children have weight problems but all do not have TB. My doctor has given r cinex for one year. I dont understand why such long period is prescribed. Please help me in this matter.
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Get a second opinion

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back. I do not find things to be corroborative. Please get a second opinion. Proper diagnosis would need to be done first.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng