Does Codeine help to reduce the withdrawal symptoms of Oxycodone?

Dr. Ivo Ditah

Posted on Tue, 7 Jun 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I'm been currently taking 30mg of oxycodone hydrochloride post shoulder surgery for the last 18months and I now I'm wanting to taper off and go straight onto
(panadeine forte)

Is codeine (Panadeine forte) the most suitable medication to prevent severe withdrawal symptoms while weaning? What daily dose should I take??

Will I still go through any withdrawal symptoms if I take a high dose of Codeine?

Kind regards
XXXX
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Start withdrawal progressively and monitor first.

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

To withdraw from this drug, you should tapper off gently. only try withdrawal medications if you experience symptoms. I will recommend that you go with 20/day for one week, then go down to 10/day for another week and finally 5mg/day before stopping. if we experience any problem at this time, then we can try to address that. Finally, codeine is a good drug and you can take it as you get weaned off oxycodone.

I hope this helps. keep me posted and feel free to ask for further information and clarifications if need be.