Do calcium supplements cause asthma?

Dr. Ivo Ditah

Posted on Thu, 9 Mar 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: i have been advised by my doctor to take OTC calcium 600 mg plus vitamin D3 800 iu which i need for bone density improvement. I have a history of severe asthma and it had subsided considerably over the last couple of years however it flared back up to the historical status when I started taking the calcium plus vitamin D. I took it for 10 days. The asthma problem flared up the 1st night and continued day and night that 10 days. I discontinued taking it after 10 days and my asthma problem went back to its semi-inactive status. Your web site lists approximately 150 meds for osteoporosis. Can you advise me which ones do not trigger breathing problems so i can make a selection, in cooperation with my family doctor, that will correct my bone density problem without causing me an asthma problem. Thank you !!!!
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Change the generic type!

Detailed Answer:

The ingredients and probably not calcium are responsible for these symptoms of recurrent asthma. I will suggest that you change the brand and get another genetic form. If the same symptoms occur again,. I will then advocate that we should change. Other medications for osteoporosis are used when bone loss is advanced as the side effects are some what a limiting factor to use just like we use calcium for primary prevention.

Try this out and let me know what the results are. We will continue, from there.

I hope to hear from you on this. I wish you well and feel free to follow up with me if need be.