Owl Image

Do BP levels of 160/90 require medical attention despite no symptoms?

Question
My bp is high around 160/90. My age is 35. I do not feel any problem due to high bp. Got all tests done, ecg and other;everything is normal. The doc is saying its a white coller bp which comes by seeing bp machines. I go to gym 2 days a week and do all kind of workouts without any problem. Should I be concerned about the bp?
Tue, 5 Jun 2018 in Internal Doctor Category

Answered by Dr. Prasad 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You need to be tested again?

Detailed Answer:

Generally there are no symptoms of high blood pressure. Though some report dizziness and pain, many do not have obvious symptoms of high blood pressure.

In many cases there are ECG changes found with long standing hypertension. But as your ECG is normal, perhaps your treating doctor attributed it to white collar hypertension.

I will however recommend getting blood pressure checked three times in the next week or two. I would prefer you get BP checked around the same time of the day; preferably in the morning. If BP is constantly high on more than two occasions, you probably will benefit after starting antihypertensive drug. Discuss with your treating doctor. Off course you need not be overly worried about this issue yet.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications.