Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
143 Doctors are Online

Diagnosed with MRSA in groin area. Have swollen ankle and joint pain. Are these related?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10367 Questions
I have had a swollen ankle for Six months with severe joint pain and limp. Recently diagnosed with MRSA in groin area where I have a large plaque Dr's tell me there is no association with MRSA and joint damage but I think the Two seem to be related. I have had an Xray and told there is slight ostioarthritis but not enough to cause the pain and limping. I have been to 4 Doctors and emergency but no
Posted Fri, 29 Mar 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 14 minutes later
Thanks for posting your query.
The swelling and pain in the ankle severe enough to cause a limp can be related to chronic osteomyelitis caused by a chronic infection in the area. It can be related to MRSA.
You need to get an MRI scan of the joint done and consult an orthopedician for proper diagnosis. Proper systemic antibiotics will help in decreasing the symptoms.
1) Give complete rest to the affected part.
2) Avoid bearing weight on the limb(standing, walking, etc.)
3) You may use a walker to avoid putting a direct pressure on the limb.
Get some mild pain killers prescribed from your physician meanwhile.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Diagnosed with MRSA in groin area. Have swollen ankle and joint pain. Are these related? 12 minutes later
Many thanks...will take this print out to a Doctor. Very helpful. best Regards!
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
You are welcome.
Please keep me informed regarding the progress.
You can consult me again directly through my profile URL
Please recommend our services to your friends too if you have found it helpful.
I wish you the very best in whatever you do.

Warm regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor